Currently access to Green Button data is very restrictive which limits its intended benefits and consumer market penetration.
- The user has to login to their utility company's website with their account login to access the Green Button data. This limits any automated solution by 3rd party providers which is required for real world applications. Otherwise, in almost all cases, the solution fails since the user expects it to be automatic.
- Able to access the individual's Green Button data through a web service (i.e. RESTful) directly (with proper credentials of course - i.e. via authorization token?) without explicit login by the user to the utility company website.
- This authorization token can be changed by the user when they login to their utility account to allow/restrict direct 3rd party access to their Green Button data.
- This will allow 3rd party service providers to develop automated solutions which would reach a wide number of consumers/users. This will streamline the process, hence enhancing the chance to provide better and efficient solutions.
- Only the individual user's Green Button data is available.
- Allow others to access anonymized with no personally identifiable information Green Button data to others.
- This will help users compare between similar businesses/neighborhoods/communities and optimize their energy efficiency plans.
- No public access to public organizations' Green Button data (excluding certain public organizations that require security/privacy/etc.).
- The Green Button data for these public offices/buildings should be made public.
- This will help public analysis and positive input from the general public and/or 3rd party providers to reduce any waste and improve the energy efficiency of those offices/buildings.
- Even after years of introduction to the Green Button data initiative, still only a few utility companies offer this data to its customers and in a limited capacity.
- Standardize to have all utility companies to provide their customers their Green Button data - synonymous to receiving their utility bill.
- This will give consumers a standardized approach to visualize their consumption easily and adjust their energy consumption patterns.